Skip to Main Content
Navigated to Registration.


All Graduate Center students, regardless of where they are studying, register through The Graduate Center, 365 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY 10016 (seventh floor).

All students are required to be in status each semester. This means that students must either be registered or be on an approved leave of absence.

Information regarding registration procedures will be emailed to eligible students. The student will be advised on curriculum by his or her Executive Officer or academic advisor. Specific offerings to be given in a particular semester are listed in the Class Schedule, available online at

Students delinquent in their financial accounts (or library obligations) will be denied the opportunity to register. In addition, students who fail to meet satisfactory progress requirements, who have not fulfilled New York State immunization laws, or who have outstanding obligations to the Offices of Financial Aid, Admissions, or Residence Life may be denied the opportunity to register.

Immunization Requirement

In accordance with New York State Public Health Law, Article 21, Title VI, Section 2165, all full- and part-time students who were born on or after January 1, 1957, must present proof of immunization against measles, mumps, and rubella. The Graduate Center is required to bar registration or administratively withdraw (with tuition liability) students who do not comply. Health records will be kept confidential and will be available for reference only to those Graduate Center personnel whose job duties require information from those records. Some students may be exempt from this requirement. A copy of Public Health Law 2165 is available in each of the Student Services offices as well as in the Office of the Vice President for Student Affairs.

In addition, New York State Public Health Law 2167 requires that all college and university students enrolled for at least six semester hours return a Meningococcal Meningitis Vaccination Response Form before they may register. All matriculated students (both new and continuing) should have received a form. Forms are available online at Immunization Requirements | CUNY Graduate Center.

Program Changes

Program changes must be approved by the student’s advisor or advisory committee. The change must be made in accordance with the deadlines published each semester.

International students must clear any change in program or degree level with the Office of International Students, update their SEVIS Record, and receive a new Certificate of Eligibility (COE) for student status in order to meet U.S. Department of Homeland Security requirements for maintaining nonimmigrant student status.

Leave of Absence

Leaves of absence will be granted to students deemed to be in good standing who wish to interrupt their study. No more than four semesters of total leave time will be granted to any student. Each leave request should be made in writing to the student’s Executive Officer prior to the semester or academic year during which the leave will be taken. If approved by the pro- gram’s Executive Officer, requests for leave will be forwarded to the Office of the Registrar. The leave must then be cleared by the offices of Financial Aid and International Students (if applicable), the Mina Rees Library, and the Bursar. Leaves of absence are not counted toward the time limit for completion of degree requirements. Any student subject to induction or recall into military service should consult the veterans’ certifying officer before applying for an official leave. Any international student with F-1 or J-1 student status must consult the Office of International Students at The Graduate Center before applying for a leave. In general, international students must remain outside the U.S. for the entire semester while on a leave of ab- sence and may need to reapply for a new student status if their absence is longer than five months. During the period of the leave, no changes in academic status, including such matters as the scheduling and taking of qualifying exams, application for en-route degrees, and advancement to candidacy, may be affected.


Written notice of voluntary withdrawal from a doctoral program must be approved by the appropriate Executive Officer, forwarded to the Office of the Registrar, and cleared by the offices of Financial Aid, International Students (if applicable), the Mina Rees Library, and the Bursar. Such notice must be submitted prior to the end of the third week of classes of a given semester to avoid full tuition liability for that semester. To resume study, a former student must apply to the program for readmission.

Students who have not been granted a leave of absence (please refer to the section on “Leave of Absence” above) or who have not registered by the first week of a given semester will be withdrawn automatically from The Graduate Center.


Readmission following a withdrawal is at the discretion of the student’s program. A special Application for Readmission must be filed in the Office of the Registrar, and cleared by the offices of Financial Aid, International Students (if applicable), the Wellness Center, the Mina Rees Library, and the Bursar. It will be forwarded to the appropriate academic program office for consideration. A $20 readmission fee will be assessed.

Change of Name and Address

Students may edit their Home, Mailing, and Billing address using Self Service in CUNYfirst. Changes to the Permanent Address Type must be done in person at the Registrar’s Office. If you have been declared a New York State Resident and you change your permanent address to an out-of-state address, you will be charged the Non-Resident tuition rate for the next semester.

In addition, matriculated students changing their address should also inform their Program, Payroll Office at 212.817.8105 (if you are paid by the Graduate Center), Student Affairs at 212.817.7301 (if you receive NYSHIP), or International Student Office at 212.817.7200 (if applicable).

The Change of Address does not impact a student’s residency status if the student is already an out-of-state status student. Students requesting a change of residency status must file a City University Residence Evaluation Application along with sufficient supporting documentation with the Office of the Registrar no later than the end of the third week of classes of the term for which the change is to be effective.

The Change of Legal Name Form is available in the Office of the Registrar. When submit- ting in person, students must bring along original supporting documentation such as Birth Certificate, Court Order, Divorce Decree, Marriage Certificate, Naturalization, or Government Issued Photo ID for inspection.

Students may also designate a preferred name to be recorded in the student information system to be displayed on a variety of documents. Documents and records that may dis- play a preferred name include, among other things, course rosters, student identification cards, and student email addresses. A preferred name will not appear on, among other things, a student’s official academic record, diploma or transcript, which will instead display the student’s legal name.

Students who would like to request that a preferred name be recorded should complete the Preferred Name Request Form and submit the form to the Office of the Registrar.

Denial of Student Services

By policy of the Board of Trustees of The City University of New York, provision of college services is prohibited to any student who is delinquent in any financial account with the University (including books owed to the library and loaned equipment owed to Information Technology), who is in default for any loan administered through the University, or who has failed to attend the required exit interview for federal or state student loan programs administered through the University. Denial of services means that students are not permitted to register or receive a leave of absence , nor are they eligible to receive additional student aid until the default/delinquency has been satisfied.